We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANSTADWELL (LLAN-STADWELL), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Milford, containing 733 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the northern shore of Milford Haven, comprises a considerable tract of fertile and well-cultivated land, with some portions of hilly ground, which, from its steepness, is but ill adapted to repay the expense and labour of cultivation. . . The surrounding scenery is finely varied, combining the fine expanse of water in the haven on the south, and the spacious open channel on the west, with extensive tracts of richly cultivated country on the north and east. . . The church, dedicated to St. Tudwal, is an ancient structure in good repair, pleasantly situated on the margin of the haven, in the southern part of the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Some remains of two ancient British encampments, comprising each an area of about one acre, are visible: one is situated at the north-eastern extremity of the parish, nearly opposite the village of Rhôsmarket and the other at its south-western extremity, on a point on the shore of Milford Haven. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464345
  • 1851 Census - 0104234
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850854
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099642


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanstadwell area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanstadwell Parish Church                  Joseph Tombs, Minister, Hill St, Haverford West
  • Wesleyan chapel, Waterston village           Erected in 1836       "I beg to observe that this Chapel is not attended Regularly by any Minister......"           John Lewis, Registrar
  • Honeyborough  Baptist                Erected in 1840               Thomas Thomas, Minister, Bullford Cottage, Johnstone Post Office
  • Hebron   Baptist                 Erected in 1850                    John Edwards, Manager, Leading Man of Shipwrights
  • Wesleyan   WM                Erected in 1850               Thomas Evans, Steward, Joiner, Neyland

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Tudwall
  • &
  • St Clement's
  • Incumbent and Curates; R R Thomas (H J M Lewis)
  • Rural Deanery of Roose
  • Acreage 3,308; Population 3,774

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1714-1948), Marriages (1714-1892), Burials (1714-1941) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-3, 1805-7, 1809-13, 1818, 1820-57, 1860-1, 1866-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105182.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Hephzibah Baptist chapel, in Little Honeyborough  [Baptists, 1840]  On Dyfed FHS 
  • Bethesda  Baptist chapel, High St / Frederick St, Neyland         SM96380534      Built 1851, modified, altered and rebuilt 1863 and 1903.    Still open 1998   Coflein              On Dyfed FHS 
  • Zion, in Neyland [Calvinistic Methodists, 1861]. Records ; an account book, 1856-66, kept by Moses Williams, minister here from 1862-74, contains personal and chapel accounts, plus texts and dates of sermons, at NLW Ms 5576D.                   On Dyfed FHS                   Zion CM chapel, High St, Neyland  - still open in 2006
  • Jubilee Congregational chapel, High St,Neyland  [Independents / United Reform 1865]            SM96300539    Built 1865.   Still open 1993  Coflein           On Dyfed FHS (United Reform)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Jan 2009)
  • Neyland, in Neyland  [Wesleyan Methodists, 1850]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits; baptismal registers 1842-1934 ; circuit schedule and plans, quarterly minutes, accounts 1889-1980, at Pem RO [DFC/M/9]               On Dyfed FHS 
  • Waterson, in Waterson [Wesleyan Methodists, 1836]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits; baptismal registers 1842-1934 ; circuit schedule and plans, quarterly minutes, accounts 1889-1980, at Pem RO [DFC/M/9]               On Dyfed FHS 
  • Neyland Roman Catholic church                  On Dyfed FHS 

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Held at Pem.RO

  • Llanstadwell Parochial Church Council minute books 1920-1946
  • Llanstadwell Vestry minutes 1821-1974
  • Llanstadwell & Neyland church plans, photos; Mathias Foundation minute books and other papers 1914-1985

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanstadwell which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanstadwell parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

  • Llanstadwell (105); Hayston Hall, Jordanston, Hazelbeach, Hazel Hill Ho., Leonardston, Llanstadwell, Lower Hayston, Muscle Bridge, Newton, Newton Noyes, Neyland, Norton, Scoveston, Shipping, The Bolster, The Horse Shoe, Upper Scoveston, Waterston,Wear Point.


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.


Pembrokeshire Families

Hancock, Simon. William George Aswell, 1845-1918: a Neyland Headmaster    (NLW's site)  Pemb Historian VII

Hughes, Basil. Jottings on the History of South Pembrokeshire - Llanstadwell Parish pre  1900 . ISBN 1 898687 03 X As well as including many names of people involved with the history of  Llanstadwell and Neyland - this also gives information about the  Newton/Craddock family of Newton Wear and Angle.

Meyrick, Bette.  Behind the Light. 1975 (Hutchinson) 215pp. illus Douglas Hall with b/w drawings. tells of the Morgans family of Neyland early decades 20th cent.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanstadwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Davies, Desmond N.   The End of the Line - A History of Neyland

Hancock, Simon. Neyland and Llanstadwell : in old postcards.Pembrokeshire County Council, 1997. [83]p

Lowe, Vera. Hazelbeach and Llanstadwell . Dyfed Family History Journal 4 (1992), p. 137-42

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Newton Estate And Bowlas and Child families Archives  1475-1872      "Newton, in the parish of Llanstadwell, Pembrokeshire, was once the residence of the Craddock family; they were succeeded by the Bowlas family, from about 1554-1795. ........................."  
  • Deeds and papers relating to the Estates of Thomas Henry Davis of Hayston Hall   1699-1886    "The Hayston Hall estate is in the parishes of Llandstadwell and Rosemarket, Pembrokeshire. Thomas Henry Davis purchased the Hall in 1874"


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM955050 (Lat/Lon: 51.706332, -4.961223), Llanstadwell which are provided by:

Public Records

Held at Pem.RO

  • Llanstadwell parish/community council minute books 1894-1932

Religion and Religious Life

Hancock, Simon.  The 1904/5 Religious Revival at Neyland   (NLW's site)  Pemb Historian IX


[Gareth Hicks:  30 Dec 2012]