"MATHREY (MERTHYR), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S.W. by W.) from Fishguard, containing 860 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-western part of the county, is bounded on the north by St. George's channel, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Fishguard to St. David's. In the northern part of the parish, bordering on the coast . . . are some considerable slate quarries, affording employment to a portion of the inhabitants. The village, which is situated on the summit of a hill, was formerly a place of more importance than at present, and had a weekly market and an annual fair, granted by letters patent in the reign of Edward III. . . The church, dedicated to the Holy Martyrs, and situated in the middle of the village, is an ancient structure not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The sum of £10 per annum is paid by Sir John Owen, Bart., towards the support of a school in this parish, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
MIs by Dyfed FHS for Mathry, Rehobeth Independent Chapel
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Mathry Church - on the Institute of Archaeology site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Mathry with St Edren's from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Eglwys Mathri = Mathry Church. [Abergwaun?] : [Menter Preseli?], [1996?] 1 sheet .This project was initiated by local communities in North Pembrokeshire and co-ordinated by Menter Preseli.
Parish register: Christenings (1729-30, 1736-42, 1745-1992), Marriages (1729-30, 1735-41, 1745-54, 1776-1969) Banns (1778-86, 1791-1816, 1824-45, 1895-1916), Burials (1729-30, 1735-42, 1745-1940) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1729-1810, extracts to 1904) M (1729-54, extracts 1814-35) B (1729-1810, extracts to 1873) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1853, 1855-62, 1864-9, 1875-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105189.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Mathry parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Cave, R. The Mathry Dyke, a quartz-dolerite intrusion of probable Carboniferous age in south west Wales Geological Magazine 126 (1989), p. 715-21
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996