"NASH, a parish partly in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, and partly in that of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (N.E.) from Pembroke, containing 133 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the southern part of the county, and near a small inlet from Milford Haven, comprises but a moderate portion of land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing; and the adjacent country affords some interesting objects, and some views which are not destitute of beauty. The great turnpike road leading from Narberth to Pembroke passes through the southern part of the parish. The living is a rectory, with Upton annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 12. 8 1/2., and in the patronage of the Rev. William Evans. The church is a very ancient structure, remarkable for the rude simplicity of its architecture, and is said to have been erected by one of the earliest Norman proprietors of Upton castle. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £20. 2." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Mary's Church, Nash
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Pembroke Dock and Nash with Upton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1742-1959), Marriages (1744-1969) Banns (1812,1826), Burials (1742-1976) at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT (1800-26) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1696, 1800-7, 1809-11, 1813-80, 1882-1903) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105192.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Nash parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Cosheston, Upton, Nash [Kindle Edition 2013]
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996