GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

SLEBECH

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"SLEBECH, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 353 inhabitants. This parish, which is delightfully situated on the banks of the Eastern Cleddy, and on the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Narberth, comprises a large extent of arable and pasture land, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is pleasingly varied, and the soil generally fertile and productive: the rates are collected by the ploughland. . . A little above the village of Slebech the Eastern Cleddy river, on the northern bank of which it is situated, becomes navigable for vessels of considerable burden, and, about four miles below it, joins the Western Cleddy, these two then forming the magnificent haven of Milford. . . The church, formerly the conventual church of the commandery, and the only remaining portion of that ancient establishment, is a venerable and ancient structure, in the Norman style of architecture, pleasantly situated near the bank of the river, and embosomed in the luxuriant groves which surrounded it. . . There is a place of worship for Baptists. The commandery of the knights St. John of Jerusalem, according to Bishop Tanner, was established here prior to the year 1301 . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Cemeteries

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

The 1891 census for this parish has been transcribed by G J Davies.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

SLEBECH, St. John the Baptist  1833-1848  - on the Church plans online site

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Slebech with Newton North from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1788-1806, 1813-1925), Marriages (1762-1957, 1960-71) Banns (1757-1810, 1874-5, 1941-3), Burials (1782-1807, 1813-1972) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Copy ts BT (1799-1820) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1818, 1820-44, 1846-59, 1861-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105190.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Slebech parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

 Picton Castle. - on Castle Wales.

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

Genealogy

Griffiths, Bill. PHILIPPS of Picton Castle. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 5/344. In his article on gentlemen of Pembrokeshire, who changed their names in order to inherit a significant estate, the author looks at Richard Grant, the Rev. James Gwyther, and Sir Charles Fisher.

Shankland, Thomas[Rev]. Sir John Philipps of Picton, the SPCK and the Charity School Movement in Wales 1699-1737.   Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, . Session 1904-05.

History

Charles, B G. The records of Slebech, The National Library of Wales Journal vol. v/3, Summer, 1948

Parry, John Meredydd. The Commandery of Slebech in Wales of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem . [Slebech?] : Fairwinds Publications, [1996] viii,87p : ill, facsims,maps

Taylor, Clare.   The perils of a West Indian heiress: case studies of the heiress of  Nathanial Phillips of Slebech   (NLW's site)    Welsh History Review 12

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Held at the NLW ;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Occupations

Charcoal fired blast furnace site  in Canaston Wood, near Blackpool Mill, Pembrokeshire.  "The first evidence for iron smelting on the site is a document of 1635 granting ..........a lease of the 'decayed mill called Canaston Myll,' .........."

Social Life and Customs

Cule, John. Some Early Hospitals in Wales and the Border. National Library of Wales journal. 1977, Winter Volume XX/2. Here is an extract relating to this parish;
"Information on Slebech, the only commandery solely concerned with Wales, is sadly lacking. The old hospice itself was completely destroyed and Slebech Hall built over the site of the commandery. Lewis Glyn Cothi, in the fifteenth century wrote a cywydd comparing pilgrimages to the healing altar of St. John at Slebech Church with those to Bardsey.These journeys were scarcely in the great tradition of those hospitallers who had arrived at Slebech shortly after Pope Paschal's recognition of the Order in 1113."

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks:  28 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.