Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ST BRIDES - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

ST BRIDES - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

BRIDE'S (ST.), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (W.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 132 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of the bay in St. George's channel, to which it gives name, and at the neck of a small inlet from the bay, which flows up almost to the churchyard, forming what is called St. Bride's haven. A considerable herring fishery, which has been discontinued for many years, was formerly carried on here with very great advantage, and there are still the remains of an ancient chapel on the beach, which, according to tradition, was subsequently appropriated as a salting-house for curing the fish. In the cemetery belonging to this chapel were numerous stone coffins, of which several have been washed away by the encroachment of the sea, which has here gained considerably on the shore, as was proved some years ago, during an extraordinary recess of the tide, by the discovery of several stumps of trees. The surrounding scenery is richly diversified, and various parts of the parish afford extensive marine views and pleasing prospects over the adjacent country. Hill, the elegant mansion of Charles Philipps, Esq., is beautifully sheltered by luxuriant plantations, being open only to a verdant lawn, which slopes gently to the creek that comes up nearly to the churchyard. This family, who are descended from the ancient royal house of Cîlsant, resided formerly at the old mansion of St. Bride's, which was abandoned some years since, on the erection of the present modern house. Attached to Hill is a park well stocked with deer, forming one of the very small number at present to be found in this part of the principality. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £15.12.11., and in the alternate patronage of Charles Philipps, Esq., W.P. Laugharne, Esq., and John Nash, Esq., the last as representative of the family of Philipps, of Fobeston. The church is not distinguished by any architectural features of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £77.9.


Gareth Hicks, 23 Dec 1999