"WALTON (EAST), a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N.N.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 229 inhabitants. This parish formerly constituted a part of the ample possessions of the commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem at Slebech, to which establishment it was given by its Norman proprietor, Walter de Wale, from whom it derived its name Wale's town, or Walton. The scenery, though by no means rich, is less dreary than in some other parts of the county; and Penty Park, formerly the residence, of a branch of the family of Philipps, of Picton Castle, with its grounds, forms a pleasing and ornamental feature in the landscape. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the alternate patronage of Earl Cawdor and the parishioners, the latter having the next presentation. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very small rude edifice, consisting only of a nave, without either tower or spire. The sum of £5 per annum, subsequently duced to £3, and now discontinued, was left by the late Mr. Philipps, of Tenby, chargeable on his estate of Penty Park, for the instruction of seven poor children of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £91. 17." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llysyfran with Walton East from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1721-1974), Marriages (1721-1971), Burials (1721-1974) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-44, 1846, 1848-52, 1854-5, 1857-69, 1871, 1875) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105214.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Walton East parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996