"WHITECHURCH, or EGLWYSWEN, a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Cardigan, containing 377 inhabitants. This parish, which is supposed to have derived its name from the white colour of the stone of which the original church was built, is situated in a retired part of the county, at a distance from any turnpike road. It comprises a large tract of enclosed arable and pasture land, a considerable tract of mountainous common, affording pasturage for sheep, and some good turbaries, from which the inhabitants are supplied with fuel. The soil is various, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture: the stone in this part of the country contains a great proportion of quartz, which is found in abundance within the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Thomas Lloyd, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. John Jones, in 1729, bequeathed rent-charges of £1 and ten shillings respectively to the poor of this parish and that of Llanvair Nantgwyn adjacent. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £79.16. " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Whitechurch in Kemes (otherwise Eglwyswen) with Llanfair Nantgwyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Pen-y Groes gyrfa dwy ganrif, Independent chapel in Eglwys-wen/Whitechapel parish
Rees, Caleb & Stephan. Pen-y-groes Ty Cwrdd Annibynwyr [ Pen-y-groes Independent Meeting House].
Parish registers: Christenings (1704-1992), Marriages (1704-53, 1755-9, 1813-1933, 1948-70), Burials (1704-1812, 1814-1992) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-5, 1678, 1680, 1683, 1685-90, 1699, 1701-3, 1799-1800, 1803-39, 1844-6, 1851-60, 1863, 1865, 1869-70, 1872-80, 1882, 1885, 1890) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105215.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Whitechurch parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Lewis, E.T. North of the hills; a history of the parishes of Eglwyswen, Eglwyswrw, Llanfair Nantgwyn, Meline, Nevern. (1973) viii, 309,  p.,  p. of plates. illus., facsims., map, ports. [ISBN: 0902126032]
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996