GENUKI Home page
Cregrina Cregrina   Contents & Search Contents

CREGRINA


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CREGRINA, (or Caregrina), a parish in the hundred of Colwyn, in the county of Radnor, 4 miles E. of Builth. It is situated on the river Eddw. There are only a few scattered farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value with the perpetual curacy of Llanbadarny-garreg, 120, in the patronage of the bishop. The charities consist of a share in Powell's endowment at Brecon."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

CAREGRINA, or CREGRINA (CRUGYNAU), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (E.) from Builth, containing 119 inhabitants. This place is situated upon the banks of the river Edw, or Edwy, which falls into the Wye at Aberedw.

The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llanbadarn y garreg annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small structure of mean appearance, consisting of a nave and a chancel, neither of which is ceiled; it has no tower, but there is one bell hanging under a small shed. This parish participates in the bequest of the Rev. Rees Powell, of Boughrood, who left certain property for charitable purposes, among which is the apprenticing of one child from it; and the Rev. Thomas Williams gave ten shillings per annum for the relief of decayed housekeepers.

A little above the church there is an artificial elevation, surrounded by a moat, called Pennard's Mount, probably a corruption of the Welsh word Penarth, which is descriptive of its situation at the head, or in front, of a hill : though nothing authentic has been recorded of it, it was, most likely, at some remote period, occupied by a fortress, as it appears well situated for defending the pass of the river and the descent from the hills, being just above a bend of the river, communicating with an ancient castle in the parish of Glascomb, from which it was easy to apprise Colwyn castle, the head of the lordship, of any approach. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 108. 3.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 11 June 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.