Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
" LLANANO (LLAN-ANNO), a parish partly in the hundred of KNIGHTON, and partly in that of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 12 1/2 miles (W.) from Knighton, containing 343 inhabitants................ The turnpike road from Builth, in Brecknockshire, to Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, passes through the parish a little to the east of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Llanbister in the collegiate church of Brecknock,............. The church, dedicated to St. Wonno or Ano, ............ beautifully situated on the bank of the river Ithon. There is a place of worship for Anabaptists. On the summit of a rocky eminence .............. are the remains of an ancient castle, called "Ty yn y Bwlch," .............Within the limits of the parish is a mineral spring, called Fynnon Newydd, or " the New Well," .............The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 138. 15..........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
A short account of Llananno Church and screen. [Llananno Church], [198-]
Carver, M D. The family of Thomas Hamer, Criggin, Llananno, Radnorshire. Cronicl Powys. No. 19 (1988), p. 39-43
Llanonno Church Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 4 1934 Welsh Journals Online
Willans, J B Llananno Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 5 1935 Welsh Journals Online
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Anno's Church
Church of St Anno, Llananno on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
carved screen - on the People's Collection Wales site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llananno Parish; Statistics; Area 4400 acres; Population 201 males, 173 females, total 374
- Llananno Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 63 1 service in English "Sunday school kept in Church during summer and autumn, Scholars 35 " John Rees Lewis, Perpetual Curate
- Maesyrhalen, Baptist Erected c 1805 Attendance - morning 80 John George, Deacon; Thomas Havard, Minister, Hendy, Llanbister
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1721-1987; Marriages 1721-1971; Burials 1721-1983; Banns 1824-1941
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llananno which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llananno has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO093745 (Lat/Lon: 52.360995, -3.333380), Llananno which are provided by: