GENUKI Home page
Llanvareth Llanvareth   Contents & Search Contents

LLANVARETH


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANVARETH, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Colwyn, county Radnor, 2 miles E. of Builth Wells, its post town, and 12 from New Radnor. It is situatedby the rivers Wye and Vareth. The village, which is small, stands on the eastern bank of the Wye. The living is a rectory annexed toAber-Edw, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to about 4 per annum."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANVAREDD, or LLANVARETH (LLAN - VARETH), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E.) from Builth, containing 162 inhabitants. The name of this parish is derived from the situation of its church near a small rivulet called the Vareth, which flows into the river Wye at a short distance from its site. The parish is finely situated on the eastern bank of the Wye, by which river it is separated from the county of Brecknock, and comprises an extensive tract of arable and pasture land, in a good state of cultivation. The surface is hilly, intersected with dorsal eminences, and occasionally varied by abrupt conical hills, forming part of the range called the Carneddau, and affording excellent pasturage for sheep of a very fine breed, of which numerous flocks are reared upon them. The soil in the lower grounds is rich, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The turnpike road from Builth to New Radnor traverses the northern part of the parish. The living is annexed to the rectory of Aberedw, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a neatly constructed small pierced turret, under which a single bell is suspended, and is situated in a beautiful and romantic spot near the banks of the river Wye, under the shelter of some lofty hills. The poor of this parish share equally with those of Aberedw and Llanbadarn y Garreg in a rent-charge of 12 . payable out of a farm called Llanola, bequeathed by Mrs. Gwynne : the average annual expenditure for their support is 101. 4.

 

(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 9 Sept 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.