"LOWER GRAVENHURST, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 5 miles south east of Ampthill, its post town, and 11 south west of Bedford. Two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder pasture and meadow. Part of the soil is a rich loam, and the remainder clay. There is no village, and the whole of the parish forms one large farm. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1820. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £243, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a small edifice in the Gothic style of architecture, dedicated to St. John, and has a brass to one of the De Bilhemores, of the early part of the 15th century. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor.