"HILDERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north-west of Linton. The manor anciently belonged to the De Veres, carls of Oxford. The village, which is small, is situated on a small stream, a tributary to the river. Grants, or Cam. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £407. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £288. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure, with a fine east window. It contains several brasses to the Paris family, and effigies in oak of Sir Robert de Boteller and his lady; also a knight crusader of the 14th century. The Roman road from Cambridge to Colchester skirted the parish. This is supposed to have been the birth-place of Matthew Paris, the chronicler."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south chantry, south porch and a western tower of Early English date containing 3 bells, presented to the church by the sisters of the rector: in the chantry are two oaken effigies of Sir William Busteler and his wife, and some fine brasses to their descendants, Robert de Paris, of Caermarthen, ob. 1379, and his widow Alianora, with kneeling effigies beside a floriated cross; and to Henry Paris esq. ob. 1456, with effigy in full armour under a mutilated canopy ; there is also a small brass with knightly effigy in plate armour to Henry Paris, ob 1427, and a skeleton figure in shroud, circa 1530: the tower and sacristy date from the 12th century, and the former contains an ancient ladder; there is an early octagonal font: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Rev. Charles Goodwin M.A. rector from 1806, and patron, and Sarah his wife: in the north and south aisles are four fine stained windows of the 14th century, and there are others inserted in 1885, and also containing fragments of glass of ancient date: the reredos of alabaster, executed from a design by Mr C. A. Buckler, architect, was a memorial gift to the church: the nave and chancel were new roofed in 1878, and the church was repaired in 1890, under the direction of Messrs. Buckler, architects, of Oxford, the total cost amounting to over £2,000. there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Hildersham, Holy Trinity: Records of baptisms 1559-1904, marriages 1561-1753, 1768-1835, burials 1560-1904 and banns 1767-1813 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1851 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1560-1938, marriages 1561-1937 and burials 1560-1938, copies of these transcripts, for the years 1541-1938, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hildersham which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1742, 1759, 1789-1846 (1798 on microfilm) and 1865-1948.