[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LITTLE WILBRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 1
mile north of Great Wilbraham. The parish includes the hamlet of Six-mile
Bottom. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £330, in the
patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to
St. John the Evangelist, contains a brass of W. Blackway, bearing date
1521. There is a National school. The charities produce about £75 per
annum, including Johnson's bequest for the poor, and about 30 acres of
common. Many Saxon antiquities were discovered in an ancient churchyard
here in October, 1851.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham,
Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville.
It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway.
There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading
room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the
railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite
was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great
War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E.,
Six Mile Bottom main page."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, principally in the Decorated
and Perpendicular styles, but with traces of much older work, and consists of chancel,
nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells:
the doorways to the rood loft also remain: the piers and arches of the nave are good
Perpendicular, and there is an octagonal font of the same date: the south porch has
a curious inner doorway, enriched with tracery and shields of arms: the tower is
Decorated and stands on open arches: in the chancel is a brass, with kneeling effigy
to William Blakney M.A. ob. 1521 in the churchyard is the base of a cross, consisting
of the steps and part of the shaft, and a tombstone to Elizabeth Hobbs, who died
in 1803, and is stated to have attained the age of 104 years : the interior of the
church was restored and variously refitted during the period 1875-89, at a cost of
£800, this amount including three stained windows and a new organ: there are 200
sittings. The register dates from the year 1538."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Little Wilbraham, St. John:
Records of baptisms 1538-1986, marriages 1538-1987, burials 1561-1974, banns for
1754-1812, 1824-49, 1873-1946 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's
Transcripts for the years 1599-1648, 1661-187 3can be found in the Cambridge University
Library. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1538-1852,
marriages 1538-1837, and burials 1561-1852. Parish register transcripts of Little
Wilbraham, 1538-1852, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1880-92 and 1911-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 18.25 on Sunday, 11 November 2012, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]