GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Penzance

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The name 'Penzance' means holy headland; it originates from the Cornish 'Pensans', probably because the chapel of St Mary, first mentioned in 1327, was built on the ridge. Penzance was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 under the Manor of Alverton, and was the chief town in Madron parish. It became a borough in 1615, and was split off ecclesiastically from Madron in 1835.

The harbour of Penzance lies in a sheltered corner of Mount's Bay in south-west Cornwall, from which boats leave for the Isles of Scilly. There is also a helicopter service to the Isles from a nearby heliport. A Historical Timeline of events in Penzance is available from West Penwith Resources. A Spanish raid took place in 1595 which burnt the whole town and the old chapel; the town accounts were destroyed in the fire for the lack of very old buildings of any substance.

The Borough of Penzance is bounded on three sides by the parish of Madron and on the fourth by Mount's Bay. It was incorporated as a Borough by King James I on 9th May 1615. The town and port of Penzance became the centre of trade and activity in the west of Cornwall. There was a Coinage Hall for coining tin, a custom-house, a collector of taxes and many trades in support of shipping. The news of Nelson's naval victory at Trafalgar was first proclaimed in Penzance after news arrived from a passing naval ship.

Although the Borough was originally part of Madron parish, it now consists of three ecclesiastic parishes and is ecclesiastically quite separate from Madron; further information on each is available on its own page: see Church History.

Whilst the port continues, the town today has grown at great deal and the old parishes of Madron, Gulval, Newlyn, etc. have, in reality, become suburbs of Penzance. The town contains many shops and interesting and historic buildings, and is used as a holiday centre by tourists.

Archives & Libraries

The Morrab Library, Morrab Gardens, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4DA
Tel./Fax. 01736 364474.

Return to top of page

Bibliography

Half a Century of Penzance (1825-1875) - A description of Penzance in the middle years of the 19th century was written by Louise Courtney based on notes made by her father, J. S. Courtney. It is available on-line and must be read in the context of that date.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Originally, Penzance was the chief town in Madron parish, but as it grew that church was not able to support the growing population of the borough. Details of Churches in Penzance and the local district are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The town of Penzance has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Emigration & Immigration

Cornish Emigrants to Akron, Ohio, USA is a partial list of the Penzance, Newlyn, & Mousehole Cornish that went over to Akron, Ohio, during the 1910 time period to work in the five major rubber factories in town.

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Newspapers

More detailed information on Newspapers in Penzance and elsewhere is available.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Details of Publicans and Public Houses, Inns, Taverns and Hotels in Penzance are available on line.

Return to top of page

Politics & Government

The London Gazette Archive contains all London Gazette editions from the war years (1914-1920, 1939-1948), and all London Gazette Honours and Awards in the 20th Century. The archive is searchable.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The whole of Penzance was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. The Union comprised: St Erth, Ludgvan, Lelant, Towednack, St Ives, Zennor, Perranuthnoe, St Hilary, Marazion, St Michael's Mount, Paul, Gulval, Penzance, Madron, Morvah, Sancreed, St Just-in-Penwith, Buryan, St Leven, Sennen and the Scilly Isles.

Return to top of page

Population

In 1974,local boundaries changed. Different boundaries were also used in arriving at totals after 1981.

  • Population in 1801 - 2248 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 2297 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2671 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 3293 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 3503 persons in the parish, and 81 persons in the Madron Union Workhouse
  • Population in 1851 - 3555 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 3843 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 3797 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 3432 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 3198 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 3088 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 2937 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 2616 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 4888 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 5545 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 4830 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 5378 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 11195 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 11370 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 21168 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 21382 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Schools

Information on schools in the Penzance district is available on-line, courtesy of West Penwith resources.

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Statistics

The Town of Penzance occupied 502 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 23rd March 2014 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.