BARROW-ON-TRENT, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 188
1861 R.G. 9 / 2489
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Barrow-on-Trent is a village, a Township and a parish 132 miles north of London and about 6 miles south of Derby city.

"BARROW-ON-TRENT, a parish in the hundreds of Appletree and Morleston, in the county of Derby, 3 miles E. from Willington railway station, and 6 miles to the S. of Derby, its post town. It is situated on the north bank of the river Trent, and contains the chapelries of Stenson and Twyford, and the liberty of Sinfin-with-Arleston. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

The A5132 arterial road passes along the north side of the village as it runs between Swarkestone and Twyford. The parish lies 132 miles north of London and covers 1,130 acres. In 1891 it included the townships of Sinfin and Arleston and parts of Twyford and Stenson. There is bus service to and from both Melbourne and Derby city on weekdays.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/BarrowuponTrent/index.html