The parish is on the border with Leicestershire. The River Derwent runs past the village. The parish, often listed as Great Wilne or Church Wilne, contains the hamlet and township of Hopwell. Church Wilne is actually a hamlet in the the parish.
You can see pictures of Wilne which are provided by:
The 'The Derbyshire Village Book' tells us: "The Romans started it all. In order to get their Derbyshire lead from Derby to the river Trent at Trent Lock, they built a straight road between the two. A small community developed along it about six miles from Derby. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Draicott or Dry Cote. About a mile to the south by the river Derwent there was a settlement which we now call Wilne, the original name meaning `a clearing in the willows' which sounds a wet and marshy place. A church was recorded there in AD 822 dedicated to St Chad."
Wilne is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as one village.
In the 1700s and 1800s the parish had a number of cotton mills which produced cloth.