"BUCKERELL, a pleasant village and parish, in the Otter valley, 3 ½ miles W. by S. of Honiton, has 360 inhabitants, and 1559A. 2R. 31P. of land, belonging to W. Porter, W.M. Smythe, G.B. Northcote, and D. Davey, Esqrs., and a few smaller freeholders, the manor, anciently being held by the Pomeroys, being dismembered many years ago. Deer Park, the pleasant seat of W.M. Smythe, Esq., is on the north side of the river Otter, and was long the seat of a branch of the ancient family of Fry. Hembury Fort, the seat of Wm. Porter, Esq., is at the north end of the parish, on a commanding eminence, near the ancient entrenchment of that name . . . The Church (St. Mary,) is a plain cruciform structure, with a tower and three bells. It has a fine coloured glass window, and a richly carved screen. Among its monuments is one in memory of the late Admiral Graves, who died at Hembury Fort, in 1787. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10. 0s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £120, is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, who are also appropriators of the rectorial glebe (58A.,) and the great tithes, now leased to G.B. Northcote, Esq. The Rev. E.E. Coleridge, B.A., is the incumbent, and has 3A. 1R. 8P. of glebe and a good residence, which he has recently much improved. Here is a National School, built in 1830, and supported by the landowners." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hemyock Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.