"COMBE RAWLEIGH, or Comb Ralegh, a small village, on the bold western acclivity of the Otter valley, 1½ mile N.W. of Honiton, has in its parish 276 souls, and 1747 acres of land, rising to a lofty elevation, overlooking Honiton and the surrounding country. On the highest point, was one of the telegraphs between London and Plymouth. The manor was successively held by the Baunton, Matthews, Ralegh, Dennis, and other families. It is now held by the Rev. Wm. Bernard, but part of the soil belongs to Mrs. Woodward and other freeholders. The Church (St. Nicholas,) is of the age of the 15th century, and has a tower and three bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20. 0s. 10d., and in 1831 at £295, is in the patronage of E.S. Drewe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. C.E. Band, M.A. who has a good residence, in a romantic nook, having an extensive prospect in front, but sheltered on other sides by woody hills. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.