Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Holcombe Rogus, Kelly 1919

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kelly's Directory of Holcombe Rogus (1919)

Transcribed by

Richard Farmer

Holcombe Rogus is a parish and village on the borders of Somerset, 2 miles north-west-by-north from Burlescombe station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western Railway, 8½ miles north-east-by-east from Tiverton, and 6 west-south-west from Wellington (Somerset) and 7½ from Bampton, in the Tiverton division of the county, Bampton hundred, Cullompton petty sessional division, Wellington union and county court district, rural deanery of Cullompton and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. This place derives its suffix from Rogo, a Norman, who held it under Baldwin, the sheriff. The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting if chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, restored by Mrs Rayer in 1905, and containing a clock and 6 bells: there is a handsome stone reredos by Hems, of Exeter, and good carved oak screen work in the cinque-cento or Italian style of the Early 16th Century, the cornice of which is enriched with medallions, exhibiting scriptural subjects: here also are the remains of the rood screen originally in St Peter's Tiverton, but removed on the restoration of that church in 1854; it is groined, painted in blue and red and gilt: the south porch is vaulted in stone, and stone windows have tracery of unusual character: there are numerous mural monuments and massive alter tombs, with recumbent male and female effigies, dating from 1613, to the Bluett family, who were seated here for many generations: the church affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence and 1½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs Rayer, and held since 1915 by the Rev. Edward John Barton M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel here. Webber's charity, founded in 1823, consists of £1,000 Consols, the interest to be applied in the daily education of 30 poor girls and 20 poor boys in the doctrines of the Church of England. The Rev W.Wills, a former vicar, by his will, dated 1875, left £300 £3 per Cent. Annuities, the interest to be given to the poor on the 28th December annually. Holcombe Court, the ancient seat of the Bluetts, and now the property and residence of Mrs Rayer, who is lady of the manor and chief landowner, is a fine old mansion, in the Tudor style, and includes a hall and a gatehouse tower, with picturesque oriels. The soil is clayey; the subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,021 acres of land and 7 of water; rateable value, £5,013; the population in 1911 was 501.

Sexton, Samuel Jones.

Post, M.O & T. Office - Aaron Tooze, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wellington (Somerset); no delivery or collection on sundays; open sundays for telegrams only 8.30 to 10.a.m.
Wall Letter Box, Durley Moor cross.
Police Constable, Sidney Butt.

Public Elementary Schools

Holcombe Rogus (infants), erected in 1875, for 65 infants, & supported by Mrs Rayer; Miss Elizabeth Robbins, mistress; Miss Barrington, assistant mistress
Webber's Charity (mixed), erected in 1849, and enlarged in 1904 for 90

Barton Rev. Edward John M.A (Vicar) Vicarage
James John Earnest, Pearclose
Prideaux Henry Maxwell, Buehills
Rayer Mrs. Holcombe Court
Watkin Mrs. Timewells

COMMERCIAL

Bigg Caroline G (Miss.), district nurse
Bowerman Edward, builder
Bowerman Harry, Prince of Wales P.H
Bucknell Benjamin, farmer, Ford ho
Carter Charles, farmer, Barton
Davey Ernest Shopland, butcher
Denham Louisa (Miss), girl's school, Hill side
Drake George, gardener to Mrs Rayer
Edwards Chas. Edwin, farmer, Higher Besley
Farrant Fredrick, farmer, Knowle
Farrant William, farmer, Lower Besley
Field Henry, farmer, Ford
Fry Richard, blacksmith
Fursey Samuel, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council
Griffen Jas.Jn. frmr, Higher Whipcott
Griffin John, farmer, Lower Whipcott
Hill James, farmer, Red hill
Jones Francis, mason
Jones Samuel, mason
Kerslake Elizabeth E (Mrs.), draper
May Edward, blacksmith, Whipcott
Melhuish William, Home Pitt P.H
Merson Jas Hewett, farmer, Kytton Barton
Parsons John, baker
Ridgway John, farmer, Whipcott
Russell Alfred James, grocer
Russell David, stone mer. Steer's ho
Salter Edward, farmer, Marjerys
Salter Henry Wm. farmer, Ramsey
Tooze Fras. New inn, & chair maker
Warren William, beer retailer
White Fred Laurence, farmer, Fenton
White John, farmer, Burrow farm
White John, farmer, Freathingcott
Withycombe Geo. Farmer, Wisburrow
Woodberry Fred, road contractor
Woodberry Walt. Saml. cabinet maker

Brian Randell, 3 Aug 2005