"LUSTLEIGH, or Listleigh, a small scattered village, in a romantic dell, opening to the valley of the West Teign or Bovy river, 3½ miles S.S.E. of Moreton Hampstead, has in its parish 311 souls, and 2239 acres of land, half of which is open commons and waste, on the eastern side of Dartmoor. On the common called Lustleigh Cleve, is a fine range of rocks and crags; and in the vicinity is a logan stone, and some other Druidical remains. The manor was dismembered many years ago, and the soil belongs to J. Gould, Esq., the Rev. S. Nosworthy, and several resident freeholders. Barne-Court was anciently the seat of the Barnehouse family. The Church (St. John,) is an antique fabric, with a tower and four bells. On an ancient tomb lie the effigies of Lord and Lady Dinham, and upon another is the figure of a crusader, supposed to represent Sir Wm. Prowse. The font is Norman and the oak screen is finely carved. The church has been repaired and beautified by the late and present incumbents. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 7s. 6d., and in 1831 at £170, in the alternate patronage of the Earl of Ilchester, and the Hon. P.C. Wyndham, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Fredk. Ensor, B.A., who has 35A. 3R. 17P. of glebe, and a large and commodious residence in the Gothic style. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £290 per annum. The National School was built in 1825, and has £9. 10s. a year from land given by the late Rev. Wm. Davy. " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, inhabitants of Wreyland in Bovey Tracey were often registered at Lustleigh. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.