"PAIGNTON, which gives its name to large petty sessional division, is a neat and improving village and bathing place, delightfully situated on the central part of the semi-circular shore of Torbay, about 3½ miles S.W. of Torquay, . . . Its parish increased its population from 1575 in 1801, to 2501 souls in 1841, and now has upwards of 3000. It comprises 5092 acres of land, and the scattered hamlets, &c., of Collaton-Kirkham, Goodrington, Blagdon, Preston, Polsham, Yalberton, &c., extending more than two miles S., and one mile N., along the shore of the beautiful bay. Paignton has risen into notice as a place of resort for invalids during the last fifteen years, and is capable of being made a first-rate watering place, . . . The parish and neighbourhood form one of the most fertile parts of Devon, and abound in extensive orchards, celebrated for excellent cider, . . . The district is also famous for very large and sweet cabbages, . . . The Church (St. John,) is a large and handsome structure, with a tower and six bells, . . . The vicarage, . . . with the curacy of Marldon attached to it, is in the patronage of Sir S.H. Northcote, Bart., and the heirs of the late Rev. J. Temper, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Gee, of Steartfield, who is also lessee of the rectory and the manor of Preston . . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, and a Peculiar of the Bishop of Exeter. Marldon was a chapelry of Paignton; Collaton St Mary is a modern parish formed here in 1864.