[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"REWE, a parish in the hundreds of Wonford and Hayridge, county Devon, 5 miles N. of Exeter, its post town, and 9 from Tiverton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Bristol railway, and on the road from Exeter to Tiverton. The parish is intersected by the river Culm. It comprises the tything of Up-Exe. It is wholly agricultural, about two-thirds of the land being arable, and one-third pasture. The soil is of red sand. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £394. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing a clock and five bells. At Up-Exe are the ruins of an ancient chapel. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a school for infants. The Earl of Ilchester is lord of the manor."