Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Trusham - Entry in White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon (1878-1879)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Transcript

of

Trusham Entry

William White

History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon. (1878-1879). London: Simpkins, Marshall & Co. p. 828

Index prepared by Michael Steer

This rare and much sought-after book was produced digitally from a copy in the University of Toronto Library collection and can be downloaded from: Google Books with a search by either author or title, and also from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.

TRUSHAM is a small, scattered village, and parish, seated in the Teign Valley, 2 miles N by W of Chudleigh, in Newton Abbot union and county court district, Teignbridge petty sessional division, Chudleigh polling district of South Devon, Totnes archdeaconry, Moreton rural deanery, and Exminster hundred. It had 219 inhabitants in 1871, living on 749 acres of land. Sir L Palk, Bart., owns nearly all the soil, and is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Southcotes. The CHURCH (St Michael the Archangel), is a small building consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle and low tower. The pillars between the aisle and nave are remarkable as being granite monoliths. The church was restored thirteen years ago by the present rector. The living, a rectory valued in KB at £9 4s 9½d, is in the patronage of Sir W E De la Pole, Bart, and incumbency of the Rev Arthur Thomas Gregory, BA, who resides at Culver Cottage, Chudleigh, and the Rev William M Rogers is curate in full charge, The glebe is 59A 2R 28P, and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £120 a year. John Stooke in 1675, gave a yearly rent charge of £4 out of Stonings lands to be applied as follows: 52s in a weekly distribution of 1s worth of bread among the poor, 20s for annual distribution in corn, and 8s for the person who makes the said distributions. The same donor built an Almshouse (consisting of two dwellings and a garden), and endowed it with a farm of 60 acres at Christow, let for £50 per annum, from which 12 poor people receive 32s each yearly. The same donor also gave about 13 acres of land for the benefit of the rector, except the quarterly sums of 5s for distribution among the poor communicants. He also left for the rector an annuity of £5 (See Christow). The school land, comprising about 4½ acres, purchased in 1723 with £80 benefaction money, is let for £5 a year, which applied in schooling poor children.

POST through Bovey Tracey, which is the nearest Money Order Office. Here is a WALL LETTER BOX, which is cleared at 4 p.m. (week days only). Chudleigh is the nearest Railway Station,

Ashplant, Thomas, carpenter

Barbary, Michael, New Inn

Causley, Saml. hay, corn, flor and coal dlr

Cheeseman, William, carpenter

Cleave, Mrs, farmer, Cridford

Coombes, William jnr, blacksmith

Coombes, William, shoemaker

Gregory, Rev Arthur Thomas BA, rector, h Culver cot. Chudleigh

Langdon, Thomas, sexton

Leech, Charles, farmer, Brimble

Martin, William, carpenter

Rogers, Rev William Moyle, curate in sole charge, The Rectory

Smith, Thomas, shoemaker

Woolen, Mrs Sarah, farmer, Sotridge

Wright, Elon, farmer, Wetcombe Barton

Wright, John Albert, farmer, Symons farm

Wright, William, farmer, Tucketts.