[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ABBOTS RIPTON, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, in the county of
Huntingdon, 6 miles north of Huntingdon, and 67 from London. The living is a
rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £630, and in the patronage of the
Rev. P. P. Rooper. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an
ancient structure, with a low tower. There is a national school for boys
and girls, supported by the inhabitants. At 1 mile distant from the village
of Abbot's Ripton, are the hamlets of Wennington and Wild Goose Lays. The
parish was given by Henry II. to Ramsey abbey, whence it passed at the
Reformation to the St. John family. Edward Fellows, Esq., is at present the
lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"WENNINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Abbots Ripton, county Hunts, 5 miles
north of Huntingdon."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Abbots Ripton Parish is included on Fiche Set C110.
- The full 1841 Census of Abbots Ripton Parish is included on Fiche Set C60.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Abbots Ripton (RG11/1604, >Folios 100a - 106a) and Wennington (RG11/1604, Folios 106b - 109a) were enumerated, and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is included on Fiche Set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Abbotts Ripton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is included on Fiche C9.
- The fiche sets mentioned above are published by the
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 231780.
- The church of St Andrew consists of a chancel, north chapel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west
tower and south porch. Although there was a church here at the time of the Domesday survey of 1086,
the earliest evidence of the present buildings is of a church gradually reconstructed and enlarged
during the third and fourth decades of he 13th century. This church, which consisted apparently of
a chancel, nave south aisle with south porch, and perhaps a north aisle, was dedicated by the Bishop
of Lincoln in 1242.
- At the beginning of the 16th century, it was evidently intended to rebuild the church. The chancel
was, at that date, rebuilt and the north chapel added. A new arcade on the north side of the nave was
erected and, from the evidence of the west respond of the south arcade, it was apparently proposed to
rebuild that side also. It is probable that, instead of doing so, this arcade was taken down and rebuilt
with the same material. The tower is part of the same scheme of reconstruction, but of a little later
date than the rest of the work.
- The church was restored by subscription in 1858, and in 1868 the roofs of the nave and the south
aisle were restored as a memorial to Frances Rooper by her brothers and sisters.
- There are
photographs and further information on St. Andrew's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1558-1598 (remains of paper registers), 1558/9-1684, 1684-1724, 1724-1768, 1768-1812, 1813-1885.
- Banns: 1755-1812, 1825-1976.
- Marriages: 1559-1684, 1684-1744, 1735 (one marriage only), 1744-1753, 1762, 1754-1812, 1813-1838.
- Burials: 1559-1684, 1684-1724, 1724-1768, 1768-1812, 1813-1989 (indexed).
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608-10, 1612, 1618-19, 1625-7, 1660-72/1679-80, 1682, 1684-8, 1690-1702, 1704-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-8, 1730-53/1754-1813/1813-24/1825-6, 1828-42, 1851-4.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical
listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- The parish of Abbots Ripton has been in the Registration District of Huntingdon continuously from 1st July 1837.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Riptone (x cent.),
- Riptune (xi cent.),
- Magna Riptona,
- Ryptone or Riptone Abbatis (xii & xiii cent.),
- St John's Ripton (xvi cent.)
- The parish of Abbots Ripton was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are
available from the
Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
- Population in 1801 - 327.
- Population in 1851 - 377.
- Population in 1901 - 386.
- Population in 1951 - 357.
- Population in 1971 - 283.
- Population in 1991 - 253.
- Abbots Ripton occupies 4191 acres of land.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.41 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]