ATHERTON, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Leigh, Lancashire. The town stands about a mile E of the Bolton and Kenyon railway, 2 miles NNE of Leigh, and 13 WNW of Manchester. It bears also the name of Chowbent; and it has a station of the name of Atherton on the railway, and a post office of the name of Chowbent under Manchester. The inhabitants are employed variously in cotton factories, iron works, nail factories, and collieries. Pop., 2,692. Houses, 683. The township includes also part of the town of Leigh, and is partly rural. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £23,638; of which £8,920 are in mines. Pop., 5,907. Houses, 1,222. Atherton Hall stands near the site of a quondam seat of the Athertons; and is the property of Lord Lilford. The chapelry is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Lilford. The church was rebuilt in 1810. There are Baptist and Unitarian chapels, and a national school. The subdistrict includes Tyldesley-cum-Shakerley. Pop., 11,936.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Dan Lane (now Tyldesley Rd), Baptist
- St George, Tavistock Street, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Market St, Church of England
- St Phillip, Crosby St, Church of England
- St Anne, Tyldesley Rd, Church of England, Hindsford
- St Michael and All Angels, Leigh Rd, Church of England, Howe Bridge
- Alma St, Evangelical
- St James, Free Church of England
- Mealhouse Lane, Independent Methodist
- Central Methodist, High St, Methodist
- Alma St, Primitive Methodist
- St Richard of Chichester, Mayfield St, Roman Catholic
- Sacred Heart, Tyldesley Rd, Roman Catholic, Hindsford
- Bolton Old Rd, Unitarian, Chowbent
- Seacome Hall Chapel, Flapper Fold Lane, Unknown
- Bag Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Laburnam St, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Atherton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Wigan & Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Atherton to another place. Leigh. history of Atherton. maps of Atherton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD673031 (Lat/Lon: 53.523535, -2.494717), Atherton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview