ATHERTON, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Leigh, Lancashire. The town stands about a mile E of the Bolton and Kenyon railway, 2 miles NNE of Leigh, and 13 WNW of Manchester. It bears also the name of Chowbent; and it has a station of the name of Atherton on the railway, and a post office of the name of Chowbent under Manchester. The inhabitants are employed variously in cotton factories, iron works, nail factories, and collieries. Pop., 2,692. Houses, 683. The township includes also part of the town of Leigh, and is partly rural. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £23,638; of which £8,920 are in mines. Pop., 5,907. Houses, 1,222. Atherton Hall stands near the site of a quondam seat of the Athertons; and is the property of Lord Lilford. The chapelry is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Lilford. The church was rebuilt in 1810. There are Baptist and Unitarian chapels, and a national school. The subdistrict includes Tyldesley-cum-Shakerley. Pop., 11,936.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Dan Lane (now Tyldesley Rd), Baptist
- St Anne, Tyldesley Rd, Hindsford, Church of England
- St George, Tavistock Street, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Market St, Church of England
- St Michael and All Angels, Leigh Rd, Howe Bridge, Church of England
- St Phillip, Crosby St, Church of England
- St James, Free Church of England
- Mealhouse Lane, Independent Methodist
- Central Methodist, High St, Methodist
- Alma St, Primitive Methodist
- Bag Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Laburnam St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Alma St, Evangelical
- Seacome Hall Chapel, Flapper Fold Lane, Unknown
- Bolton Old Rd, Chowbent, Unitarian
- Sacred Heart, Tyldesley Rd, Hindsford, Roman Catholic
- St Richard of Chichester, Mayfield St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Atherton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Wigan & Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Atherton to another place. Leigh. history of Atherton. maps of Atherton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD673031 (Lat/Lon: 53.523535, -2.494717), Atherton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.