Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ATHERTON, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Leigh, Lancashire. The town stands about a mile E of the Bolton and Kenyon railway, 2 miles NNE of Leigh, and 13 WNW of Manchester. It bears also the name of Chowbent; and it has a station of the name of Atherton on the railway, and a post office of the name of Chowbent under Manchester. The inhabitants are employed variously in cotton factories, iron works, nail factories, and collieries. Pop., 2,692. Houses, 683. The township includes also part of the town of Leigh, and is partly rural. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £23,638; of which £8,920 are in mines. Pop., 5,907. Houses, 1,222. Atherton Hall stands near the site of a quondam seat of the Athertons; and is the property of Lord Lilford. The chapelry is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Lilford. The church was rebuilt in 1810. There are Baptist and Unitarian chapels, and a national school. The subdistrict includes Tyldesley-cum-Shakerley. Pop., 11,936.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan
- Dan Lane (now Tyldesley Rd), Baptist
- St Anne, Tyldesley Rd, Hindsford, Church of England
- St George, Tavistock Street, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Market St, Church of England
- St Michael and All Angels, Leigh Rd, Howe Bridge, Church of England
- St Phillip, Crosby St, Church of England
- St James, Free Church of England
- Mealhouse Lane, Independent Methodist
- Central Methodist, High St, Methodist
- Alma St, Primitive Methodist
- Bag Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Laburnam St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Alma St, Evangelical
- Seacome Hall Chapel, Flapper Fold Lane, Unknown
- Bolton Old Rd, Chowbent, Unitarian
- Sacred Heart, Tyldesley Rd, Hindsford, Roman Catholic
- St Richard of Chichester, Mayfield St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Atherton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Atherton which are provided by:
In 1835 Atherton was a township in the parish of Leigh
You can see the administrative areas
in which Atherton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD673031 (Lat/Lon: 53.523535, -2.494717), Atherton which are provided by: