"PENDLETON, a suburban town, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Salford district, Lancashire. The town is suburban to Manchester; lies on the Manchester and Bolton railway, near Peel Park, contiguous to the W side of Salford, 2 miles W N W of Manchester: contains very many genteel residences; carries on industry in cotton and flax mills, and in dye and print-works; and has a railway station with telegraph, a post-office, under Manchester, a town hall, and numerous places of worship, and public schools. The town hall was built in 1866, at a cost of about £9,000; is in the Italian style, with assimilation to French; and contains an assembly-room, 85 feet long, 39½ feet wide, and 30 feet high. The churches are St. Thomas', rebuilt in 1831, and Sts. Paul, George, James, Anne, and Luke, built in 1856-65 at costs of £5,000, £5,000, £8,500, £1,500, and £6,500. A New Connexion Methodist chapel was built in 1863, at a cost of £2,500; and has a Corinthian portico. Independent school-rooms were erected in 1865, at a cost of £2,400; are in the geometric pointed style; and includea central hall, 60 feet long and 40 feet wide. Very handsome Wesleyan schools were erected in 1863, at a cost of £3500. The township comprises 1,720 acres; and is in the parish of Eccles, and the borough of Salford. Real property, £85,080; of which £2,186 are in mines, and £1,024 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 14,244; in 1861, 20,900. Houses, 3,906. Coal exists in seams of 7 feet thick and under, and is largely worked. The chapelry includes but a portion of the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 5,361. Houses, 984. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £344. Patron, the Vicar of Eccles. The sub-district comprises the townships of Pendleton and Pendlebury. Acres, 2,650. Pop., 24,448. Houses, 4,578."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)