Description in 1877:
"AB-KETTLEBY, a parish and a pleasant village and township, on an eminence in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District, is three miles N.N.W. of Melton Mowbray, and 15 miles S.E. of Nottingham; it is situated on the turnpike between the two towns, and on the southern acclivity of the red-sandstone hills which bound the Vale of Belvoir. Its parish, including Holwell township, contains 2,920 acres, and had 349 inhabitants in 1871; its township comprises about 945 acres, and has 202 inhabitants."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition 1877"