Description in 1877:
"BUCKMINSTER, a pleasant village and township, on the eastern side of a range of the Wold adjoining Lincolnshire, 10 miles E.N.E. of Melton Mowbray, and S. W. of Grantham, in 1871 had 312 inhabitants, living in 76 houses; but Buckminster parish, which is in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union, and County Court District, also includes Sewstern township, and had a total population of 544 persons, living in 133 houses, on 3,053 acres of land. The rateable value of the township is £2,352 5s. 6d. Mr. David Lee, the Executors of the late Mr. Jno. Marshall, and the Representatives of the late Mr. Arthur Marshall have land in the village; but the manor and the greater part of the soil belongs to the Earl of Dysart, of BUCKMINSTER PARK, which is situated on the north side of the village, and contains a large and handsome Grecian mansion, built in 1798, by Sir W. Manners, Bart., who was created a baronet in 1793, and was heir-apparent to the Earl of Dysart and Lord Huntingtower, of Scotland, titles which were created the Tollemache family, in 1643." White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition 1877"
Buckminster is a village, a township and a parish 10 miles south-west of Grantham, 9 miles east-north-east of Melton Mowbray and 123 miles north of London. The parish is in the Wold Hills and is bordered by Lincoln county to the east and Sproxton parish to the north. The parish covers about 3,000 acres and included the township and chapelry of Sewstern.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mobray toward Colsterworth (Lincolnshire). The road bisects Buckminster village.