Marston is both a town and a parish 5 miles north-north-west of Grantham and 113 miles north of London. Foston parish lies to the west across the Foston Beck (stream), Syston parish to the east. The parish covers about 2,450 acres.
The River Witham runs past the northern side of the village. If you are planning a visit:
The A1 trunk road passes about a mile south of the village.
Here's a list of surnames found in White's 1871 Directory: ADAMS, ARMSTRONG, ATTER, BROWN, BUTLER, FARMER, GOULSON, HARMSTON, HUTCHINSON, JARDINE, JOHNSON, KENNY, LANE, MASON, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, ROWLAND, TREADGOLD and WORTH.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate (Grantham) petty session hearings.
In 1670, Sir William and Lady Ann THOROLD established a charity to provided funds for the poor, who received £20 yearly to five old men and five old women, with additional funds going to coal, clothing and directly to other poor people.
An unknown donor provided an annual benefit of £16 5s 11d.
In 1716, Dame Margaret THOROLD established a charity to fund the education of poor children of this and other nearby parishes.