South Hykeham is a parish three miles south-west of the city of Lincoln. It lies west of the the A15 trunk road and east of the A46 trunk road ("Foss Way"). The River Witham forms a portion of the eastern parish boundary with Waddington parish just across the river. Thorpe on the Hill is the neighboring parish on the west side. The parish encompasses about 1,200 acres and includes part of the township of Haddington.
The name Hykeham is possibly from the Old English Hice+ham, for "small bird enclosure", appearing in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hicham. During the 17th Century, South Hykeham was also known as Church Hykeham. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]