The Anglican Parish Church is dedicated to St. George and St. Lawrence. This is the only church in England with this dedication.
The origin of the church is uncertain. The tower is reputed to be Saxon, pre-Conquest.
There is a story that a young girl named Mary HILL died on Shrove Tuesday in 1814 when she pulled one of the bell ropes and was dragged up against the belfry floor above. In a glass case just inside the Norman doorway is the Maiden's crown. This is one of three carried at her funeral by three maidens dressed in white. They also carried three garlands and three white gloves. These garlands are carried at the funeral of any unmarried girl and are a symbol of chastity.
The church was restored in 1865 and again in 1876.
The church seats 130.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the church nave on Geograph, taken in May, 2008.
Here is a photo of St. George and St. Lawrence Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Springthorpe is both a parish and a village about 4 miles east of Gainsborough and 9 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Corringham parish, on the east by Willoughton parish, to the south by Heapham parish. The parish covers around 1,300 acres and includes the hamlet of Stourgate.
Springthorpe village is near the River Till, which passes one half mile to the west of the village. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A631 trunk road east out of Gainsborough and turn right immediately after Corringham. The village is about 3/4 of a mile ahead.
RAF Sturgate opened here in September, 1944. By then, the war had moved to mainland Europe, so no operational sorties were flown from this field. It did however serve as a training site for a number of units.
RAF Sturgate closed in January 1946.
The airfield reopened in June 1953 as a USAF Strategic Fighter Wing.
Military operations cesed in 1964.
A portion of the airfield is now operated by the Lincoln Aero Club Ltd.
The Control Tower has been referbished and the field now operates as Sturgate Airport.