"Kinoulton is a large village and parish on the Grantham Canal, under the eastern declivity of the Wolds, 7 miles south-west by south of Bingham, and 10½ miles south-wast of Nottingham. It contains 405 inhabitants and 3,071 acres of land, mostly belonging to the lord of the manor, Henry Nevile Esq., with about 260 acres belonging to Thomas Black, William Day and Henry Martin Esqs. In 1849 there was a rent charge in lieu of the tithes.
The village was anciently called Newbold, and was a chapelry to the mother church, which was dedicated to St Wilfred, and stood on a lofty eminence, more than half a mile west of the village, where it was long in ruins, and was taken down about the year 1793, when the Earl of Gainsborough, then lord of the manor, erected the present church. The manors of Kinoulton and Newbold were of the fees of Walter D'Ayncourt and William Peveril, and were successively held by the Villiers, Foljambes, Plumptons, Cliftons, Bugges and Noels, from the latter of whom they passed to the late lord, C.H. Nevile Esq., who assumed the name of Noel, on succeeding to the estates of Henry Noel, the last Earl of Gainsborough, who died without issue in 1796." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The original Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Wilfred and it stood about a half mile west of the village. This church was long in ruins and was taken down in 1793, but the old churchyard remains with some 34 headstones.
The new Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Luke.
This church was built in 1793 of red brick near the center of the village.
St. Luke's Church is a Grade II structure with English Heritage.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Luke's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of St. Luke's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
This village and parish stand on the Grantham Canal near the Fosse way, about 7 miles south-south-west of Bingham, about 116 miles north of London and 10 miles south-east of Nottingham. The parish covers 3,070 acres and includes an area called Newbold. The parish has a chalybeate spring on the hill above the village. Lodge-on-the-Wolds is normally considered part of this parish, but was a separate extra-parochial area.
The village was anciently called Newbold. If you are planning a visit:
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011. This is a good place to visit and to look at a schedule of forth-coming events. The Hall can be hired for a family re-union!.
By automobile, the village is just north off of the A46 trunk road where it intersects with the A606.
You can see pictures of Kinoulton which are provided by:
The village used to be located higher on the hill, but it "migrated" downhill when the canal opened. There are several "lost" hamlets in the parish boundaries, one of which was Warberge.
Legend has it that in 1687 a palace stood on a piece of land later known as Old Grange. The palace was occupied by CRANMER, then Bishop of Llandaff. This is unlikely, as CRANMER never held that title. Historical fact tells us that CRANMER's sister was married to Harold ROSELL who purchased the grange, and this fact has been distorted over time and elevated to palatial status.
Plague visited the valley in 1604.
The parish was primarily a grazing area, but small farms also grew wheat, beans and barley.
The village used to hold a feast on the first Sunday after Saint Luke's day (late October).
Shortly after World War I, SIr William Jesse HIND planted an avenue of 184 Lombardy Poplar trees to honor his son, Lt. Francis M. HIND who was killed in action on the Somme in 1916. Sadly, due to age and hazard, most of these trees were felled in 2008. The parish council has funded the planting of replacement Poplar saplings to restore this unique sight.
The parish planted a row of Poplar Trees as a memorial to the 60 soldiers who died on the Somme, France, in World War I.
There is a War Memorial plaque in St.Luke's Church. 29 names are listed, five of whom made the ultimate sacrifice.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the external War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011. This stands near the school on Main Street, west of the Grantham Canal and includes names from World War II. It is known as the Kinoulton Village Hall Car Park memorial.
There is also a Vimy Ridge Farm Plaque dedicated to the memory of the fallen servicemen of Kinoulton. It appears to focus on Sherwood Forester members.