GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Screveton

"SCREVETON, a parish, with a village, in Bingham district, Notts; 2 miles N by W of Aslockton r. station, and 3 N E of Bingham. Post-town, Bingham, under Nottingham. Acres, 1, 150. Real property, £2, 646. Pop., 241. Houses, 60. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers and T. B. T. Hildyard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £252. Patron, T. D. Hall, Esq. The church is good, and has a Norman tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Dr. Thoroton, the antiquary, was a native."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Screveton is a village and a parish 120 miles north of London, 4 miles north-east of Bingham and 13 miles north-east of Nottingham city. The parish covers about 1110 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1861 241
1871 219
1881 179
1891 172
1901 159
1911 163
1921 140
1931 103
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]