"PORTON, a chapelry in the parish of Idmiston, hundred of Alderbury, county Wilts, 6 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Amesbury. It is a station on the South-Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Idmiston, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a wooden belfry."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Porton was in the parish of Idminston, and is 5 miles NE of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU190365. Population 185 in 1831.