"WINTERSLOW, a parish in the hundreds of Alderbury and Amesbury, county Wilts, 6½ miles N.E. of Salisbury. The village is situated on the line of the old Roman road from Salisbury to Winchester. Near the Winterslow Hut are three barrows, one of which, on being opened some years since, was found to contain an arched vault of rude flints wedged together, enclosing two large sepulchral urns filled with relics, supposed to have been those of some illustrious British female; and near, an ancient cross; many Saxon and early Norman coins have been found cut into halves and quarters, hence the names of half-penny and farthing, or fourth-ing. Near this spot one of the horses of the Exeter mail coach was seized by a lioness in 1816, supposed to have escaped from a travelling menagerie. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £785, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Winterslow is 6 miles NE of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU229324. Postcode SP5 1RY. Population 749 in 1831, 1,022 in 1951.