[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"NORTH FRODINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness 6 miles SE. of Driffield. The market has long been disused, on account of the decreasing population; and the neighbouring town of Driffield, which is better situated for trade, having increased so much in wealth and numbers as to cause the charter of Frodingham to be transferred to it about sixty years ago. The church is a very ancient structure (see Churches
for photograph), dedicated to St Elgin, of which the Rev. F. Drake, D. D. is vicar, and Mr. John Atkinson the patron. There are also three chapels of Dissenters, namely, Methodists, Independents, and Ranters, the two latter built in the year 1821. This town is situated within half a mile of the river Hull, which is navigable from Frodingham bridge to Kingston upon Hull. Frodingham Grange, (or Great Tythe,) containing 400 acres, belong to Philip Saltmarsh, Esq. and the Vicarage, or Less Tythe, containing 109 acres, to the Rev. F. Drake, D. D. the vicar. Population, including Emmotland, 575."
"EMMOTLAND, 2 farm houses in the township and parish of North-Frodingham; 1¼ miles SW. of North Frodingham, 5 miles from Driffield, 10 from Beverley. Pop. included with N. Frodingham."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]