[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WATTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 6 miles S. of Driffield, situated on the high road leading from that place to Beverley; it is called the ancient Vetadun, a place which, at an early period, was consecrated to religion. It appears from Bede's Ecclesiastical History, that here was a nunnery about A. D. 686, but by whom founded, or how demolished, does not appear. About the year 1150, Eustace Fitz John founded here a priory of Gilbertine nuns, of the Order of Sempringham, and thirteen canons; the number of nuns was fifty-three. Like all other religious houses, this monastery has suffered great dilapidations; but the worthy family of the Bethel's have preserved what remains of the buildings, since it came into their possession; and the venerable relics of this ancient structure still merit the attention of the antiquary. The church here (see Churches
for photograph), like the ancient monastery, is dedicated to St. Mary; George Bethell, Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. George Ferreman the incumbent, Pop. 307."
"BURNBUTTS, a farm house in the parish of Watton, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¾ miles NW. of Watton, 6 miles SSW. of Driffield."
"CAWKELD, a farm house in the parish of Watton, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¼ miles W. of Watton, 6½ miles SSW of Driffield."
"STANDING HOLME, (or Seven Hills or Stanningholme), in the parish of Watton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3¾ miles E. of Watton, 8 miles SSE. of Driffield."
"SWINEKELD, a farm house in the parish of Watton, and wapentake of Harthill; ¾ mile NE. of Watton, 5 miles from Driffield."
"TOPHILL LOW, a farmhouse in the parish of Watton, on the banks of the River Hull; 3¾ miles ESE. of Watton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]