|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CRATHORNE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles SSE. of Yarm. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), is an ancient plain structure; Patron, the Hon. Mrs Cockayne. In the chancel is an effigy of a knight cumbent in armour cross-legged, with the arms of Crathorne on his shield. This, it is conjectured, is the monument of Sir William Crathorne, Knight, who lived A. D. 1322, near which is a mural monument, to the memory of Ralph Crathorne, Lord of Crathorne. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Cullen. Here is likewise a Catholic chapel, and a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists. A mineral spring has been discovered about half a mile from this place. The village consists of about sixty-six houses pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Leven. Pop. 330.
It is the seat of George Crathorne, Esq. lineally descended from a family that have been resident here ever since the conquest, and bore as a crest, a Crake or Crow. -Graves."