Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bramham:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bramham:


"BOSTON SPA, in the township of Clifford, and parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 3 miles from Wetherby, 4 from Tadcaster. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, the Virgin, value, about £110. Patron, the Vicar of Bramham. Principal Inn, Red Lion." (There is further information for Boston Spa).


"BOWCLIFFE, (the seat of John Smyth, Esq.) in the township of Bramham with Oglethorpe, and parish of Bramham; 4 miles from Wetherby."


"BRAMHAM BIGGIN, the residence of Sir Philip Musgrove, Bart., in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of St. Peter;"


"BRAMHAM LODGE, the residence of the Hon. Edward John Stourton, in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of St. Peter;"


"BRAMHAM PARK, the seat of George Lane Fox, Esq. in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of St. Peter;" (There is further information for Bramham Park).


"CHESNUT GROVE, (the seat of George Strickland, Esq.) in the township of Clifford, and parish of Bramham; 1½ miles from Wetherby."


"CLIFFORD, in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 3 miles SSE. of Wetherby, 4 from Tadcaster, 5 from Aberford. Pop. 1,017."


"HEADLEY HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Bramham; 3 miles SW. of Tadcaster, 5 from Wetherby."


"OGLETHORPE, in the township of Bramham with Oglethorpe, and parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 4 miles W. of Tadcaster.

This place was formerly the residence of the ancient family of Oglethorpe, one of whom was Reve of the county at the time of the Norman Conquest: they continued seated here till the civil wars, when their estates here were lost for their loyalty. Of this family was James Edward Oglethorpe, born in 1698, founder of the Colony of Georgia, General of the forces of South Carolina, &c. He died June 30th, 1785. A monument is erected in the church of Cranham, to the memory of the General and his wife, written by Mr. Capel Loft. He was author of "An account of the Colony in Georgia," and "An Essay on Plantations, or tracts relating to the Colonies, 1732." --Nichols' Anecdotes, vol. 2. where a detailed account of this respectable family is given."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]