GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   West Riding West Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of EAST MARTON

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"EAST MARTON, (or Church Marton or sometimes Marton in Craven), a parish-town, in the east division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Skipton, 7 from Colne, (Lanc.), 11 from Settle. Pop. including West Marton, 382, which, being united, form the township, usually denominated Martons, both. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Craven, value, 14. 4s. 4d. p.r. 150. Patroness, Mrs. Heber."


"GLEDSTON HOUSE, (the seat of Richard Roundell, Esq.) in the township of East and West Marton, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Skipton, 5 from Keighley, 8 from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Settle."


"INGTHORPE GRANGE, (the seat of J. Baldwin, Esq.) in the township of East and West Marton, and parish of East Marton; 6 miles from Skipton.

Ingthorpe, now Ingthorpe Grange, was a Grange to Bolton Priory, and having been granted to the first Earl of Cumberland, in 1542, was sold by his grandson to the Baldwyns, in which family it still continues. Here the Canons seem to have had a small Cell and Chapel; for a Basso Relievo, in white marble, was found here some years ago; the subject of which seems to have been the apprehension of Christ, and Peter drawing his sword. --Whitaker's Craven."


"MARTON SCAR, a farm-house in the township of Martons, both, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 7 miles from Skipton, 8 from Colne, (Lanc.)"


"SKELDA, a farm-house in the township and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles W. of Skipton."


"WEST MARTON, in the township of Martons, both, and parish of East Marton, liberty of Staincliffe; (Marton Hall, the seat of Mrs. Heber) 6 miles from Skipton, 7 from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Settle. Pop. included in East Marton.

Marton Hall stands low and warm, and is embossomed in wood. It is a respectable old family Mansion, and has been the residence of the Hebers for many generations.

Here, in 1728, Reginald Heber, an amiable and learned clergyman, was born. He published, without his name, "an Elegy, written amongst the tombs in Westminster Abbey." The lines are moral, plaintive, and religious. He died in 1804."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014