"CLACKMANNAN, a parish, containing the post-office town of Clackmannan, the post-office village of Sauchie or Newtonshaw, and the villages of Kennet, Westfield, and Forest-Mill, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded on the west by Alloa; on the north by the Devon, which divides it from Tillicoultry and Dollar; on the east by the detached district of Perthshire; and on the south by the upper part of the firth of Forth, here about a mile broad, which divides it from Stirlingshire. Its length southwestward is 6 miles; its breadth at the Forth is 2 1/2 miles; and its greatest breadth is about 4 miles."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"CLACKMANNAN, a small town on the Black Devon river, at the mouth of which river is the creek of Clackmannan Pow. The town, now dwindling in size and importance, still claims to be considered the county town. At the top of the old cross are carved the arms of the Bruce family, whose chief seat for many generations was Clackmannan."
From Clackmannan and Kinross, J.P.Day B.A. B.Sc. 1915.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire" - and also now too from the Central Scotland Family History Society..
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1593. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)
- The transcription of the section for Clackmannan from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
See Clackmannan Cross (photo) pre-1915.