"A borough, market town, and parish, having exclusive jurisdiction, in the Union of St. Asaph, locally in the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh (of which it is the ancient shire town); 218 miles (NW) from London, on the road from Ruthin to St. Asaph, containing 3786 inhabitants. ..... The town is picturesquely situated in the centre of the rich and beautiful Vale of Clwyd, partly at the base, and partly at the aclivity, of a steep, isolated, rocky eminence, the summit of which is crowned by the venerable remains of the castle. ..... The environs abound with beautiful and richly varied scenery; the air is remarkably salubrious; the land in the vicinity is rich and in a high state of cultivation; and in the immediate neighbourhood are numerous splendid seats and elegant villas, inhabitated by opulent families, whom the advantages of its situation have induced to select Denbigh for their residence. "
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]