Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union of Wrexham, partly in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, and partly in that of Maelor, county of Flint; five miles (NNW) from Ellesmere. This parish, which by tradition is said to have been originally an appendage to the ancient monastery of Bangor, is situated on the river Dee, which is navigable about four miles below it, and which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The soil in general is fertile: the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some places highly picturesque; and the river Dee, which for a considerable distance forms the boundary of the parish, pursues a winding course through the adjoining tract, and adds greatly to the beauty of the scenery."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
- Roberts, Miriam. The Prices of Erbistock Hel achau, No. 97 (June 2008), p. 24-26
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 355413.
The church was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, and at that time was dedicated to St. Erbin. A new church was built about 1748. The present building, which is dedicated to St. Hilary, was constructed in 1860.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Hilary - on the Wrexham Churches Survey site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Erbistock :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Not named ||Congregationalists (English language) ||56 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1680 - 1918 ||1679 - 1970 ||1679 - 1991 |
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1679 - 1812 ||1679 - 1812 ||1679 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1663 - 1835 ||1671 - 1835 |
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Hilary's, Erbistock.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Erbistock was assigned to the No. 3 ("Ruabon") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District
; which, initially, was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Erbistock are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Erbistock which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ354416 (Lat/Lon: 52.967833, -2.963339), Erbistock which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 398.
- In 1901- the population was 307.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 1571 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]