Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog
"A parish in the Union of Corwen; Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 10 miles (WNW) from Oswestry, containing 307 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Ceiriog, is supposed to be the burial place of St. Germanus, the celebrated Bishop of Auxerre."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish comprises the townships of Tre'rllan, Llowarch and Lloran.
- Jones, Emma a Rheinallt Hughes. Hanes Ysgol Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog Glyn Ceiriog : Ysgol Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog, 2002.
- Jones, Jane A. Lewis . The history of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and Tregeiriog [Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog] : Jane A. Lewis Jones, 2000.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 158328.
"The church, dedicated to St. Germanus, is an ancient and spacious building, but entirely destitute of architectural character, and in a very dilapidated condition. About forty yards to the west of it, and within the cemetery, is a large oblong tumulus, which is said to be the sepulchre of St. Germanus."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
The church was rebuilt in 1846.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Llywarch ||Calvinistic Methodists ||72 |
|Salem ||Calvinistic Methodists ||91 |
|Tabernacle ||Wesleyans ||71 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1625 - 1991 ||1624 - 1970 ||1750 - 1927 |
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1625 - 1815 ||1624 - 1813 ||1624 - 1813 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1668 - 1835 ||1668 - 1835 |
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|Baptisms ||Marriages |
|1758 - 1835 ||None |
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog was assigned to the No. 2 ("Corwen") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ157327 (Lat/Lon: 52.885107, -3.254286), Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 307.
- In 1901- the population was 243.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 9305 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]