GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents


Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant

"A parish in the Union of Llanfyllin, composed of the lower division, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; and the upper portion, in the upper division of the hundred of Llanfyllin, county of Montgomery; 12 miles (W by S) from Oswestry, and containing 2344 inhabitants. ..... This parish is intersected by the river Moch, which, at the distance of four miles from the village, forms the much admired waterfall called Pistyll Rhaiadr. ..... The river precipitates itself with great impetuosity down a steep descent of more than 150 feet, and, being interrupted in its fall by a projecting mass of rock, through which it has formed a channel, forms a second fall beneath a lofty arch to the base of the mountain."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

According to Archdeacon Thomas, the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant at one time included the parishes of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn; and part of Llanwddyn (in Montgomeryshire).

The townships of the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant which were in the pre-1974 county of Montgomery were: Abermarchnant, Brithdir, Castellmoch, Cefn Coch, Glanhafon Fach, Glanhafon Fawr and Nantfyllon.
The townships which were in the pre-1974 county of Denbigh were: Banhadla Ucha, Banhadla Isa, Gartheryr, Henfachau, Trebrys Fawr, Trebrys Fach, Trefeiliw, Tre'r-Llan and Tre-Wern.

The parish church was on the Denbighshire side of the border; therefore the parish registers have been deposited in the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.

The village is perhaps best known as the place where William Morgan, who was vicar from 1578 to 1588, completed his translation of the Bible into Welsh.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 124260.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Dogfan,was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was restored between 1879 and 1882.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the parish church.

St Dogfan's church - on the Mathrafal Deanery site

A district church (SJ 136231), dedicated to St. Mary, was built at Rhos-y-Brithdir in 1892 - in the Montgomeryshire section of the parish. Presumably because of this, some family history databases and websites state that there are two parishes named Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant - one in Denbighshire, and one in Montgomeryshire. This is completely incorrect.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St. Mary's church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Salem Baptists 128
Soar, Gefailrhyd Baptists 20
Bethel, Maengwynedd Calvinistic Methodists 49
Bethesda Calvinistic Methodists 175
Salem, Pentrefelin Calvinistic Methodists 107
Tabor, Maengwynedd Congregationalists 66
Bwlchyddar Wesleyans 190
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1678 - 1847 1682 - 1919 1678 - 1930
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1678 - 1812 1678 - 1812 1678 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1662 - 1844 1662 - 1844


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Llanfyllin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanfyllin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant - on wikipedia

Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant photographs - on

Pistyll Rhaeadr Waterfalls


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.