We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Cadoxton Juxta Neath

CADOXTON, or, LLAN CATWG, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Chapels of Aber Pergwn, and Crynant, and valued in the King's Books at £5.11.10 1/2: Patron, Capel Hanbury Leigh, Esq.; Church dedicated to St. Catwg.  The resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Hamlets of Blaen Honddan, Coed Ffrangc, Dyffryn Clydach, Dylais Issa, Dylais Uwcha, Glynn Neath Canol, Glynn Neath Issa, Glynn Neath Uwcha, and Ynys y Mond) was 3482.  The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £1162.17.5. It is 1/2 m. N. from Neath. There were formerly two Chapels in this Parish, both of which are now demolished.  It is a hilly District, and abounds with Coals; and has the advantage of the Neath Canal, which runs twelve miles Northwards to the Mountains.  This Parish is remarkable for the Longevity of its Inhabitants; and present several fine Cascades.  According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Augmentation, was £79.15.3.  "Richard de Grainville and Constance his wife gave their Chapel in the Castle at Neath, the Tythes belonging to it, a large Tract of waste Land, and other Possessions, in the reign of Henry the First, to the Abbot and Convent of Savigny near Lyons in France, that they might build an Abbey here.  And a very fair Abbey (dedicated to The Holy Trinity) was built accordingly on the West side of the river, a little below the Town, for Monks of the Order of Savigny, or Fratres Grisei, who soon afterwards became Cistertians......." Tanner's Not. Mon.(A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales,Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)


Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

References to the parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath at

An on-line index to the book Old Neath & District in Pictures, volumes 1, 2 & 3 have been provided by Brian Wagstaffe.

A book titled The History of the Vale of Neath by D. Rhys Phillips, 1925, has been indexed by Brian Wagstaffe.

Business and Commerce Records

  • Maesmarchog Stone Coal Colliery
    1797-1853: corresp, agreements, output records, inventories, etc
    National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records - Reference: NLW MS 5975]

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Vale of Neath Brewery Records  1844-1913      "The Vale of Neath Brewery was established in the 1830s in Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Glamorgan. Initially the business was successful, but economic difficulties and a fire in 1843 led to the sale of the business in 1850 to Evan Evans (1791-1871)......................."  
  • Evan Evans Bevan Ltd (Brewers) of Cadoxton and Pontardawe Records     1919-1972      "Evan Evans (1794-1871) of Briton Ferry bought the Vale of Neath Brewery at Cadoxton in 1850 and subsequently the Swansea Vale Brewery at Pontardawe. ........................"


The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing an enumerated transcription and a personal name index. These are available for the years :

  • 1851 - HO107/2464

Visit their website for information on how to purchase.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cadoxton Juxta Neath area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Images and History of the church of St. Catwg, Cadoxton juxta Neath, by Brian Wagstaffe

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Catwg Church

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Catwg's Church

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The parish church is dedicated to St. Cattwg, and is in the Benefice of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS756985.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1721 - 1899, Marriages, 1721 - 1837, Burials, 1721 - 1899. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1638-1674, 1653-1679 (Lay Registers), 1738-1965 1638-1674, 1653-1679 (Lay Registers), 1738-1935 1638-1647, 1653-1679 (Lay Registers), 1738-1919 1823-1844 1721, 1723-1733, 1735-1736, 1738-1817, 1818-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cadoxton-juxta-Neath Ecclesiastical Parish records     " ......... including registers of baptisms, 1738-1965; marriages, 1738-1935; burials, 1738-1919; banns, 1823-1844; churchwardens records, 1841-1842"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, St. Cattwg - Marriages, 1813-1839; Christenings (BT's), 1813-1872
  • Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Capel-y-Cwm Calvinistic Methodist - Christenings (BT's), 1820-1837

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cadoxton Juxta Neath which are provided by:
"The monastery of Neath was situated on the banks of a river of the same name, about a mile westward of the town and castle.....In the time of Leland this abbey was in a high state of preservation, for he says, ' Neth abbay of white monkes, a mile above Neth town, standing in the ripe of neth, semid to me the fairest abbay of al Wales.' The remains of the abbey and of the adjoining priory-house are considerable; but this ancient retirement of the grey and white monks is now occupied by the inhabitants of the neighbouring copper-works. "
The Itinerary Through Wales and The Description of Wales by Giraldus Cambrensis (1188).The text is that of Sir Richard Colt Hoare who published an English translation in 1806, chiefly from the texts of Camden and Wharton . This extract is from the foot-notes in the Everyman's Library edition, (ed. Ernest Rhys) 1908.

Places, villages, farms etc within Cadoxton juxta Neath  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Ynysmond (11); Cil-hendre; Craig-y-perchyll; Cwm-cyrnach-uchaf; Llwyn-du; Ty Coch; Wern-ddu; Ynyspenllwch (weir?); Ynys-y-mond
  • Dyffryn Clydach (12); Darran (Court?); Darran Wood; Dyffryn; Gelli-deg; Gelli-felgaws; Glyn Clydach;  Longford Court; Mynydd Drumau; Neath Abbey; Pen-lan;  Plas-newydd Colliery; Stanley Wood; Tor-y-graig Colliery; Ty-llwyd;
  • Coed-Ffranc (13); Briton Ferry Stn; Cefn Fm.; Chemical Works; Crymlyn Bog; Drumau Ho.; Earlswood Ho.; Gelli-deg;  Gelli'r-allor; Henbarc Fm.; Jersey Marine; Lon-las; Pen-isa'r-coed; Pen-lan; Pentwyn Fm.; Pont-y-Sais; Skewen; Tennant Canal;
  • Blaenhonddan (14); Blaen-honddan Fm.; Bryn-coch; Bryn-coch Fm.; Cadoxton juxta Neath (village); Cenfaes; Cenfaes-fach; Cilffriw; Court Herbert; Dderwen-fawr; Erw'r-saethau; Fforest-goch; Gelli-march; Gilfach; Glyn-rhigos;  Great Western Railway; Lletty Siac;  Longford Court; Pentre-haearn; Plate Works; Rhydding; Tan-y-rhiw; Tennant Canal; Tin Plate Works;  Tre-nache; Viaduct; Waun-ceirch;
  • Dylais Lower (15); Aber Nant; Blaen-nant;  Coed Gaw Dir; Coed-y-glyn; Colliery; Droscol;  Fforest Farm; Gelli-galed; Glyn-y-bedd; Lletty-bela; Lletty-rafel; Llwyn-gruffydd; Melin-y-Rhos; Mynydd March-Hywel; Pen-llwyn-llanc; River Dylais; Tir-isaf; Tir-lan; Ty'r-lan; Ynys Fadog
  • Dylais Higher (16); Blaen-nant-melyn; Bryn-dulais; Bryn-teg; Bryn-y-garn; Camnant; Coed-du; Crynant;  Farteg Hill; Gaer; Gelli-ben-uchel; Gelli Dochllithe; Gors Llwyn; G.W R.;  Henllan; Nant Hir; Nant-melyn; Nant-y-Cath; Nant-y-talwyn; Onllwyn; Rhos Common; Seven Sisters; Twyn-Eithinog; Ynys-y-bont;
  • Neath Higher (17); Aber-pergwm; Banwen Pyrddin; Blaen-pergwm; Bryn-ceiliogod; Bryn-ceffylau; Camnant; Cefn-isaf; Derlwyn-mawr; Glyn-Neath; Maesmarchog; Maesmarchog Colliery (disused); Pont Nedd-fechan; Stwd Einon Gam; Tir-bach; Ton-planwydd ?; Ton-y-gilfach
  • Neath Middle (18); Blaen-nant-yr-hebog; Bryn-awel; Craig-clwyd; Craig-clwyd Fechan; Crugau; Crugau Wood; Hir fynydd; Neath Canal; Pentre-clwydau; Pwll-faron Colliery;  Rheola; Rheola Brook;
  • Neath Lower (19); Blaen-llwyd; Craig Nedd; Hendre-gledren; Pen-craig-Nedd; Ynys-arwed Fm.; Ynys-bwllog; Ynys-dyfnant?; Ynys-y-gerwyn; Ynys-gollen;

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

Images of Neath and District, by Brian Wagstaffe

Cadoxton juxta Neath  - on wikipedia


Transcript of name listing for Neath and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-


1822-1823 (Pigot's Directory)   1858-1859 (Slater's Directory) (50k)


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cadoxton Juxta Neath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish


Images and History of the old Neath Abbey Iron Works, by Brian Wagstaffe

Neath Valley and the Neath & Tennant Canals, by Brian Wagstaffe

Various Historical databases relating to Cadoxton-juxta-Neath parish - contributed by Linda Ware

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Miscellaneous collections: manorial papers     "Papers relating to the following manors in Glamorgan: ...........; Cadoxton, 1602-[18th century]; .................."  
  • Rheola Estate, papers   1816-[c. 1933]      "The Rheola Estate was purchased by John Edwards from the Gnoll Estate in 1800, and the lordship of the Manor of Resolven from the Briton Ferry Estate in 1815. The estate included properties in the parishes of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath and Llantwit-juxta-Neath,.............."
  • Ynys-y-gerwn Estate Papers     1739-1818            "The estate consisted of a sizeable land holding in the parishes of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath and Llantwit-juxta-Neath, and from the 17th century was the property of the Llewellyn family.............................."
  • Dynevor, Lords     "Draft leases from the Lords Dynevor of building plots on the Neath Abbey estate together with atttached site plans 1876-1939; draft tenancy agreement: Lord Dynevor to Sidney Thomas for Tynyrheol Farm, Cadoxton with attached plan 1935; draft tenancy agreement: Hon. Charles Rhys to William Mayberry, for land at Blaenhonddan, Cadoxton with attached plan 1946"
  • Jones, I.G.       "Lease of wayleave along level and airway under lands in the hamlet of Ynisymond in the parish of Cadoxton juxta Neath together with plan to Llwyndu Firebrick Co. Ltd. from Walter Fitz Uryan, Baron Dynevor, 1938."
  • Moy Evans, J.            "Deeds relating to property in the parishes of Cadoxton juxta Neath and Llantwit juxta Neath [Llangatwg Glyn Nedd] 1690-1699; will of William Wilkins of Swansea 1828 with annexed grant of probate 1830"  
  • Tennant Estate papers     1803-1938      "The Tennant connection with South Wales began early in the 19th century with George, third son of John Tennant, a lawyer from Wigan, Lancashire. George had established himself as a lawyer in London, but in 1816 purchased the Rhydding estate from the Earl of Jersey who had recently inherited the Briton Ferry Estate. Shortly afterwards he also bought the Cadoxton Lodge estate .............................."


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS756986 (Lat/Lon: 51.672313, -3.800437), Cadoxton Juxta Neath which are provided by:


The Copper Industry in the Neath Valley by Brian Wagstaffe

Duffryn Main No 1 Colliery, Bryncoch (near Neath) on the Welsh Coal Mines site


The Population of Cadoxton juxta Neath was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 5,794 1851 - 7,314 1861 - 8,209 1871 - 8,778 1881 - 10,482 1891 - 11,593

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cadoxton-juxta-Neath Parish Records  1638-[late 20th century]


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cadoxton juxta Neath School, records     " ........log books, 1863-1930"