"CIL Y BEBYLL, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), Co. of Glamorgan, South Wales: a discharged R. valued in the King's Books at £4.6.8: Patron, The Prince of Wales: Church ded. to St. John the Evangelist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (containing the Upper and Lower Divisions) was 281. The money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £39.7.5.
It is 4 1/2 m. N. from Neath. This is a small, mountainous Parish, and the greatest part of it is barren and uncultivated. It is situate on the river Tawy. Under the Western side of the Mountain, called March Hywell, or Howell's Charger, is a very cold Spring, which is in repute for bathing in. The Name signifies, The Retreat or Retirement of the Tents or Tabernacles. The present worthy Rector, The Rev. F. Gough, most obligingly adds, 'there are numerous Carneddau or Tumuli on March Hywell: on opening one of which, we found a stone Platform, manifesting strong appearances of incremation, and on one side thereof, an unbaked Urn of clay, containing ashes, the remnants of bones, and wood charcoal, the latter apparently as fresh as when deposited. Some Celts have also been found, and a supposed Roman sword of gold-coloured metal, hammer-hardened, and a very formidable weapon; now in the possession of Mr. Edward Griffiths of Neath'. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe Land, was £54.17.4." (From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)