"COWBRIDGE, or, Y BONT FAEN, or PONT FON, in the Cwmwd of Pen y Bont, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, to the Vicarage of Llan Bleiddian: Patrons, The Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 759. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £209..15..9 1/2, at 5s. 6d. in the pound upon Houses, and at 8s. 3d. in the pound upon Land. It is 12 m. W. from Caerdiff, and 176 m. W. from London. The Market is on Tuesday. The Fairs are on the 20th of March, 4th of May, 24th of June, 29th of September, and 30th of November. It is one of the Contirbutary Boroughs with Caerdiff, which send one Member to Parliament. The Corporation consists of 12 Aldermen, and 12 Capital Burgesses: and the Townis governed by two Bailiffs, elected by the Capital Burgesses and Freemen out of the Aldermen. The Grammar School was endowed by Sir Llywelyn Jenkins, Secretary of State to James the Second. There is also a very good School for reading, writing, and accompts. The excellent Fish, called Sewen, is abundant here. The Quarter Sessions are holden here once a year. It contains about 35 acres of inclosed Land: and is situate upon the river Ddaw. "
(From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)
Places, villages, farms etc within Cowbridge as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
- Cowbridge (123) - no place names visible
Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
Description of Cowbridge from the Glamorgan Village Book, compiled by the Glamorgan Federation of Women's Institutes.
Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Cowbridge - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"
You can see pictures of Cowbridge which are provided by: