|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"LLAN ILLTWRN, in the Cwmwd of Uwch
Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys),
County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, not in charge, annexed to
the Rectory of St. Fagan's: Patron, The Earl of Plymouth: Chapel
dedicated to St. Illtyd. The Resident Population of this Parish, in
1801, was 84. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was
£61..0..3 It is 6 m. N.W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains
about 1000 statute acres of Land, all inclosed. The remains of the
Monastery are now a Barn. This Chapelry is supposed to have been
separated from the Parish of St. Fagan's, about the reign of Queen
Elizabeth: it has a Register, and chooses its Warden, and makes its own
Rates; but pays to the repairs of St. Fagan's Church and Bridge; and
when the Rate for them is made, it pays the third Penny. The Duty of
this Chapel is once a day, Morning and Evening alternately, and
generally in the Welsh language.- "St. Iltutus founded a Monastery
here, A. D. 508, and made it a place for Education in human Learning as
well as Religion: so that many worthy Men are said to have been brought
up here." - Tanner's Not. Mon.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
|Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
"Annals of St. Fagan's with Llanillterne - An Ancient Glamorgan Parish", indexed by David Webb.
Gravestone Photographic Resource - an international grave monument directory. Includes Llanilltern compiled by David Webb
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
Glamorgan Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish
Here are references found for one such chapel;
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Llanilltern was formerly a chapelry in the Parish of St. Fagans
The church is dedicated to St. Ellteryn, is in the Benefice of Pentyrch with Capel Llanilltern, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST095799.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth|
|-||1756-1767||-||-||1717, 1724-1740, 1742-1744, 1747-1749, 1752, 1755, 1758-1763, 1765-1790, 1792-1814, 1816-1830, 1832-1837|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanilltern as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Jean Gilson)
"LLANILTERNE, or CHAPEL ILTERNE (LLANILLTEYRN), a parochial chapelry in the hundred of DINAS POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, on the road from Cardiff to Llantrissent, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Cardiff, containing 149 inhabitants. It is stated to have been separated from the parish of St. Fagan about the reign of Queen Elizabeth; but the inhabitants still contribute one-third to the repairs of the church and bridge of that parish. The living is consolidated with the rectory of St. Fagan's, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The chapel, dedicated to St. Illtyd, is a very small building, with a curious inscription, not wholly legible, at the southwestern angle of the exterior wall, said to be to the memory of the wife of the renowned King Arthur. There is a place of worship for Independents. At Llanvairvawr, an ancient farm-house belonging to the Earl of Plymouth, lately destroyed by fire, are the ruins of a religious house, founded about the year 508, by St. Illtyd, as " a place for education in human learning, as well as religion :" the chapel is entire, and has been converted into a barn. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £157. 13. " ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Transcript of name listing for Llandaff, with the parishes and villages of Caerau, Ely, Fairwater, Radyr, Llanilltern, St. Fagan's, Michaelston-super-Ely, and St. Bride's-super-Ely from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The Population of Llanilltern was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 136||1851 - 137||1861 - 150||1871 - 155||1881 - 118||1891 - 97|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996