Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANDYSILIO - Gazetteers
"LLANDYSILIO, a parish in the hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 7 miles E. of Llanfyllin, and 6 from Oswestry, its post town It is situated near the rivers Severn and Vyrnwy, across which latter is a stone bridge. The Montgomery canal and Offa's Dyke, now forming the turnpike road, pass through the parish. It includes six townships, of which Domgay and Haughton are the principal. Petty sessions are held here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £430, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Tisilio."
"DOMGAY, a township in the parish of Llandysilio, in the county of Montgomery, 7 miles N.E. of Llanfyllin."
"HAUGHTON, a township in the parish of Llandysilio, county Montgomery, 8 miles N.E. of Welshpool. It is situated near the river Vyrnwy."
"RHANTREGYNWEN, a township in the parish of Llandysilio, county Montgomery, 7 miles N.N.E. of Welshpool."
"RHUSNANT, a township in the parish of Llandysilio, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 7 miles N.E. of Welshpool, and 6 E. of Llanfyllin. It is in conjunction with the hamlet of Rhantregynwen. The Montgomery canal and the river Vyrnwy pass in the vicinity."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANDISILIO (LLAN-DYSILIO), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Welshpool, on the road to Oswestry, containing 623 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tysilio, a saint who flourished in the sixth century, is situated on the river Vyrnwy, by which it is separated from the county of Salop, and at no great distance from its influx into the Severn : the Montgomeryshire canal passes through the western part of it. The waste and common lands were enclosed under the provisions of an act of parliament obtained for that purpose in the year 1787. The petty sessions for the hundred are held in the village, on the first Friday in every month. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, and in the patronage of the Bishop, by whom the rectory is held in commendam. The church is a neat edifice, in the early style of English architecture, and contains "several good monuments to the memory of deceased members of the family of Lloyd of Domgay. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. A Sunday school, in connexion with the established church, in which the children of the parish receive gratuitous instruction, is supported by subscription. David Jones, in 1696, gave some land for the relief of ten poor persons ; and Peter Jones also gave a portion of land for the relief of the poor in general : the produce of these benefactions is annually appropriated according to the intention of the donors, Offa's Dyke may be distinctly traced in its progress through this parish, in which also are some obvious remains of an ancient Roman road pointing northwards towards Chester. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £381. 13.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)